Outdoor faucets are very handy for gardening, car washing, kid spraying, and lawn watering. Taking care of that faucet is usually not even a consideration. That Plumber has a couple of handy tips to keep your outside hose faucets, also known as a sillcock, in tip-top shape.
- Install an indoor shut off valve for each sillcock. This has several advantages. It allows the homeowner to shut off water to the outside. It prevents freezing of the waterlines in the winter. It keeps kids from making muddy messes.
- Consider installing a frost proof hose spigot.
- If you don’t want to install a shut off valve for your outdoor faucet, consider adding an insulated foam faucet cover. While not the gold star approach, it’s better than nothing at all.
Outdoor faucets also often develop leaks, primarily due to being constantly exposed to the elements, which can be costly if the water drips into your basement or runs up your water bill. That Plumber has several recommendations for preventing and stopping leaks altogether.
- Prevention is always better than a cure, right? Installing a frost free sillcock is your best defense against leaks and breakage. This is because freezing is the number one cause of breakdown in the spigot.
- A shut off valve inside the home prevents the water lines from freezing which can lead to big leaks and even flooding. Installation is usually straight forward and can prevent big messes from occurring in the winter or during the spring thaw.
If you already have a leak, first try replacing the packing nut inside the faucet. This is a fairly simple and straightforward procedure.
- Turn off the water to your outside hose faucet.
- Unscrew the packing nut at the base.
- Gently pull the spigot out to reveal the screw at the neck.
- Take out the screw on the valve stem that holds the faucet washer.
- Replace washer with new.
- Push the spigot back into place.
- Replace screw at the neck.
- Turn the water back on, let air move through pipes.
- Check for leaks.
If that doesn’t work, more than likely it is time to replace your outdoor faucet.
That Plumber proudly serves Summit, Stark, Carroll and Wayne counties in NE Ohio. Please Contact Us or call 330-494-8054 for help with your outdoor faucet leaks or sillcock replacements!